Saturday, May 24, 2008

"Hellhole Haiti" not as Violent as Peoria


I have watched Haitians for 25 years.

I have seen them walk incredible distances up rocky mountain roads, carry their sick neighbors to the doctor on their shoulders, sit in immobile traffic crammed inside of large stagnant trucks, and find their baby's bed empty when they visited at the hospital.

Haitians are not near as anger prone or violent as Peorians.

The homicide rate in Peoria is about 15/100,000 per year.

The homicide rate in Port-au-Prince is about 5/100,000 per year.

Figure that out.

See the New Zeland Herald.

2 comments:

draslanson said...

Dr John,
It has been while since we talked. In fact, I have misplaced your phone number but I knew I could find you here. My name is Matthew Jones. I visited Haiti and met your at Lumiere in 1998. I also spoke with you a time or two in Med school about residency decisions. I am now a resident in Medicine/Pediatrics at the U of Minnesota in Minneapolis/St. Paul and love it. My family and I have accept a last minute reguest from Dr. Wawal in Port au Prince to come in June and help him with his new work there. I am honored but intimidated to go.

I'd love to hear any advice you might have for us, we are going as a family (myself, my wife, and 3 small kids). I also wanted to offer to take any message or things you might want to get there - maybe you are even there now.

Let me hear from you when you have opportunity.

Matthew Jones

John A. Carroll said...

Matt,

Great to hear from you.

Send me your e mail address.

John
haitianhearts@gmail.com