Thursday, July 19, 2012

Words Can't Explain


(Photo by John Carroll)
Innocent.
No chance. Not even close.
Where is the money?
Caracol. Are you kidding?
Very hungry. Won't eat.
Concerned moms, good instincts.
Coughing all the time.
Becoming small.
Tropical depression.
Flat tires. Blown gaskets.
Gas mixed with kerosene.
ER closed for the day.
Chest x-ray? Come back tomorrow.
Bullet proof vest in clinic.
Keep eyes down.
Evicted from tents. Relocated to where?
Schizophrenic but harmless.
Orphans growing up in orphanage.
No birth certificate.
Grinds teeth at night.
Yawns after breastfeeding.
Uterine tenderness and fever after C section.
No oxygen in hospital.
Aquatabs sometimes.
We won’t operate until it strangulates.
Never heard of him. Wrong number.
Cool Prestige, not cold.

Pap padap (Digicel) is real majik.
Inverter won’t power fan. Anopheles like human feet.
No room to breathe.
Noise oppressive.
Natcom flash drive a life saver.
I have seen zombies...
No doctor in ER today.
This is a red zone in Soleil.
Extract teeth instead of restore. Embarrassing.
Wouldn’t he be better off to die in Haiti’s mountains than be deaf and suicidal in the US?
Wharf Jeremy is beyond horrid.
A hungry cry...don’t look at me that way, please.
I still have my breath.
No, I don’t believe in the houngan.
Mangoes really good.
What transparency?
The broker at the wharf.
Haitian National Police told me to put my shirt on. Keep eyes down.
Forced evictions.
Grand theft, but I didn’t do it. Deported.
The lost year.
The cholera numbers just don’t add up.
Adoption office closed. For three months.
If God is willing.
I never see you anymore.
Ninety minutes from paradise.
Vaccine protective?
Smurf babies craving protein.
I have had enough. 

Why not me?
Humbling.
Please.
Mon Cher.


John A. Carroll, MD
www.haitianhearts.org










1 comment:

Chapter Two said...

I can't understand all that you have shared here, but I do feel the hurt of the injustice in the world. Bless you for all that you do to care.